Apple-Blueberry Crumble Tart
Updated: May 11
This is a great accompaniment to hot cup of tea, coffee or even for a light dessert treat after a meal. This one treat on the table though, featured something really incredible. It was like an open apple-tart tasting like maple cinnamon oatmeal... but only better! WOW this was totally flaky, not so sweet, not so savory... just right. And it really did hit the spot with a nice herbal tea! So, here is my attempt at resurrecting this and I really think you will enjoy it!
BASE: 1 pkg Puff Pastry, thawed 2 Apples, medium sized, your choice - sliced thin
CRUMBLE: 1 C Old Fashioned or Steel Cut Rolled Oats 3/4 C Spelt Flour 3/4 C Brown Sugar, light 1/2 C Blueberries, frozen 1 Stick of Butter, room temperature 2 TB Maple Syrup, real 2 TB Cinnamon 1 TB Ginger 1 tsp Nutmeg
Oven to 400°F
1. Line two half-sheet pans with parchment paper. Lay each puff pastry square on each.
2. With a fork, a knife, or a pastry cutter, you will want to poke (not cut!) a “frame” into the dough. This will help the puff pastry form a really nice crust during the baking process.
3. Lightly coat the frame of this puff pastry with sugar
4. Take your slices of apple and layer them in columns
FOR THE CRUMBLE:
In a medium-sized mixing bowl, toss around your flour, sugar, oatmeal, spices together. With your butter added to the bowl next, you will need to work this butter in to create the crumble. Make sure to thoroughly distribute the butter into the dry. You will start to have a coarse meal-like texture.
5. Take approximately 1 C to 1 1/2 C of the mixed blueberry crumble and evenly top the apples.
6. Cover the apples with your crumble to the point of keeping it uniform. Do not go crazy topping this as we want the crumble to bake up evenly!
7. Bake for approximately 25-30 minutes or until the puff pastry has a gorgeous golden brown color to it. Be sure to check at the 25 minute mark as all ovens are different!
OPTIONAL: Serve with a nice dollop of whipped cream, a warm fruited compote or a small scoop of ice-cream.