top of page
  • Writer's pictureKonky's Creative Kitchen

Ispanaklı Dolama Börek

This is an absolutely delicious dish that can be served at either breakfast, lunch, dinner or as an appetizer. This dish originates from Turkey and there, you will find a plethora of varieties available! I have a definite admiration for cuisines of the Persian/Middle-Eastern regions of the globe. The freshness, the simplicity and the love that is put into their cuisine is definitely something I hope people will try to embrace.


Only a couple of ingredients may be a bit of a challenge to find. But, there are some substitutions you can make. About 90% of the ingredients can easily be found locally at your favorite grocery shops. The remaining 10% would be more commonly available at your local Middle-Eastern shops. The mixing of ingredients would surely be a great thing to get the little kids involved in! While your teenagers could get involved with the rolling of the mixture into the phyllo.


The video for this recipe is available on my YouTube channel.


INGREDIENTS:

2lb Spinach, frozen bag thawed and fluid squeezed out 1lb Feta, drained well and crumbled 8oz Halloumi or Kasseri, shredded (Can use cheddar and/or mozzarella) 8oz Onion, finely diced 4oz Fresh vegetables, finely diced 1 Bunch Parsley, finely chopped 1/2 Bunch Dill, finely chopped 1/3C - 1/2C Garlic, minced 3 Large Eggs Kosher Salt - to taste Black Pepper - to taste

1 Box Phyllo Sheets


OLIVE OIL WASH 1/2 C Olive Oil 3 TB Garlic, finely minced Kosher Salt - to taste Black Pepper - to taste

 

Oven to 400°F/205°C 2 Sheet pans lined with parchment paper - set aside 1.) Mix all of your filling ingredients in one large bowl. Make sure that all of the ingredients are not clumping together. Set aside while you open the phyllo dough box.

2.) On a cutting board lined with parchment paper, lay 2 sheets of phyllo dough. With the olive oil wash, you will lightly coat the sheet. Remember, this is very fragile so take your time "painting" the wash on the phyllo sheets. Each filled roll will use four phyllo sheets. 3.) Grab about a handful of the spinach mixture and begin to lay this is a log-like fashion. Make sure this is evenly distributed on your phyllo sheet.

4.) With the help of the parchment paper, start rolling from the front of you in an upward motion. It's ok if the phyllo starts to fray or split. It's ok. We want to at least secure the filling. Lay the parchment down and continue to gently roll this up, moving away from your person. Move this upward and out of the way. Grab two more phyllo sheets and use your olive oil wash again.

5.) Return your rolled spinach to the bottom of your newly painted phyllo sheets and repeat the rolling action again. Start with the parchment paper to encourage the wrapping. Gently roll until it is completely covered.

©2004-2026 Konky’s Creative Kitchen, All rights reserved.


6.) On that prepared sheet pan lined with parchment paper, place your filled phyllo on the pan. Leave a little room in between to allow the oven to reach every side possible during the cooking process.

7.) Into the oven for a set-timer of 20 minutes. We want to achieve a golden brown. Adjust your oven time if needed. It's done when it has a gorgeous and rich brown color.

If you are looking for a sauce, there is a fragrant tomato sauce on my Mantu recipe that works perfectly with this. Otherwise, this is a great meal for any time of the day and also makes a great change-up for side dishes for any meal as well!


©2004-2026 Konky’s Creative Kitchen, All rights reserved.

Recent Posts

See All
bottom of page